What is impetigo?
Impetigo is a highly infectious condition affecting the outer layers of the skin. The condition is not very common in the UK. Commonly affects young children
What causes impetigo?
A bacterial infection
What are the symptoms?
- Very friable vesicles
- Commonly seen on the face
- Very itchy and red skin in the areas affected
- Yellow pus and crusts
- Some patients rarely develop kidney problems after developing impetigo
How can impetigo be treated?
- Very local infection - Saline soaks and topical (skin based) antibiotic creams
- Widespread infection - Antibiotic tablets
For more sources of information/help click on the links below: