What is dermatofibroma?
In dermatofibroma nodules form on various parts of the skin which are NOT cancerous. These are very common. These nodules are also known as fibrous histocytomas and most commonly affects younger women.
What causes dermatofibroma?
The exact cause is unknown. They may rarely occur as a result of reaction to damage to the skin in the past.
What are the symptoms?
- Firm, thick nodules, sized 5-10mm
- Single or multiple
- May be pigmented (coloured)
- Commonly seen in the lower legs
- Not painful and grows in size very slowly
How can dermatofibroma be treated?
- Surgical excision (removal) : for cosmetic reasons and if there is any suspicion that it might be a type of skin cancer.
For more sources of information/help click on the links below: